Sunday, April 29, 2007

a day in the pub with some of my favorite people.

Oh, symposium! What is there to say about it except that I think it went fabulously! I was a little apprenhensive about it being disorganized because for awhile our class was a little indecisive about what we wanted our presentation to be like. But at the end, I think everything came together. Most of us were really well-prepared and well-versed about our topics - and were excited to talk about them! I think because it was such a beautiful day, there weren't as many people as some of the other presentations might have gotten - I think I remember a friend of mine in another class saying that Friday's sessions all had pretty good turn outs. But Friday had not been as sunny and beautiful as our Saturday! However, the people that did come to our session were really nice and really, really polite. They asked questions but were never rude or condescending. They were genuinely intent on trying to learn more about our research. I had one lady professor come up to me and ask some really great questions, which helped me to expand my topic even further to her. We even discussed how universal blogging had become, and it seemed like I had really convinced her of my argument. Her last question was "So are you a blogger?" - to which I answered, "Yes! Of course!" and laughing, she said she was too! It made me feel really good that I had chosen a topic that people could relate to.

As for the rest of the class, I couldn't have been more proud. I know a lot of us have been saying how much we adore the bonding our class has done over the semester, but I haven't felt this close to a class since high school, and it really means a lot to me. So I was really, really proud of how well everyone presented at the symposium. Another thing I'm not sure that you mentioned but that you should know, is that since the turn-out was a little low and we had almost no one walk through towards the end, a lot of us started to leave our stations to walk around and ask each other questions or have one another present to each other. I am pretty sure almost everyone wandered around at least once to ask questions or ask to see other people's powerpoints. This impressed me and made me so proud to be a part of this class. It showed that we are all not only respectful for each other's work, but that we care enough about each other's efforts to want to hear about them. Everyone worked really hard to put their symposium presentations together, so it was nice that our class acknowledged that and wanted to acknowlege each other. I love our class! But more on that in tomorrow's entry.

I also attended your other class's presentation. I admit to being a little intimidated by them - I had heard so much about them from so many people and it was as if I was finally getting the chance to see them up close! They turned out to be actually really lovely. Besides what I shared with CJS in class, they were also very well-prepared and extremely knowledgable in the things they were presenting. You could tell that they all really loved their topics too. Plus, the way they chose to present - a powerpoint, in chronological order -was super creative and really well-organized. They really impressed me. Majority of them got some pretty tough questions too but they all rose to the challenge and answered very eloquently. I was glad to see a couple of them attending our presentation, so that they could see the contrast of topics in the two classes. I hope they enjoyed our presentation as much as I enjoyed theirs.

And most importantly, why didn't we do karaoke? Can Ian send us that playlist? It was so perfect.

No comments: