Thursday, May 3, 2007

R.I.P itskindofabigdeal.

I went to a private Catholic high school with an average class size of 25, so my English classes over the years really, really bonded and meshed well. My senior AP English class, especially, had been narrowed down to a select 15 and we already knew each other inside and out, so it was no sweat editing each other's papers. However, coming here and really getting to know our UW class and everyone's individual writing styles and topic tastes and opinions - it was really rewarding for me. I actually feel like I got more out of this class than that English class my senior year (you heard all the horror stories about my hunchback nun teacher). I love college, and I love GW. But I think it’s common for classes at any large college to be a little impersonal. It’s hard to make a connection with your classmates or teachers without chasing people down and forcing them to make time, give time, or put time in to a ‘semester’s worth of friendship’ that many people find a little unnecessary. Time is a scarce commodity ‘round these parts. And with our class, everyone was more than willing to spare an hour or two for each other.

Besides our class having great dynamics, bonding really well, and feeling excited to go to class every Monday and Thursday (it’s true!) I really loved having CJS as a professor. I think we were all a little in awe of her because it was the first time we ever had a professor we really enjoyed and admired. Unfortunately, despite the mile-high tuition, a professor you actually want to talk to is another rare commodity here. With CJS, I finally felt like I was getting what I paid for at this university. I can’t rave about her enough. I remember sitting on the vern shuttle just a few days ago and our entire class was on it just praising her and discussing a way we could possibly find (stalk) her on facebook so that we could be friends. I remember even saying, “I want to be friends with my professor… does that make me nerdy?” But I was assured that I wasn’t because everyone felt the exact same way. I’m sorry this is so rambly and gushy but hey, I’m being honest. It’s my last entry in this blog anyway. And my roommate (who God loves very much, she wanted me to say) is distracting me by playing my favorite favorite favorite band, Third Eye Blind, very loudly on her iMac. Oh, and by the way. I haven’t mentioned this yet but.

I met Third Eye Blind.

I did. It’s true. On Tuesday. It was so magical. I’d post pictures but I don’t want any on here. If you want to see the visual proof, I will send it to you. I was front row and center and fkhgkhgir, it was just so amazing. Anyway. Back to the class wrap up. Overall, this was not only my favorite class this semester but I am pretty sure it is going to remain my favorite class all throughout my years at GW. I chose this class because I loved the topic – I mean, it had the words ‘blog’ and ‘Ashlee Simpson’ in the course description so how could I not love it? I enjoyed everything we read (though I admit I could have done without Angela Shelton) and wow – I can’t believe we talked to Stephanie Klein online! I loved that we got that opportunity just because we were in this class. Professor, thank you so, so much for giving us a great semester and for being so cool. Add me on facebook! I feel like I got so much out of this class, and I really wish I could take another class with you again – teach a WID! And thank you so much for the fun bubbles and attendance prizes. My roommate and I blew bubbles into our fan, completely content and amused with ourselves/our lives and it makes me wish we had invested in bubbles sooner. Especially the ones you gave me, since they smell like oranges and what not. But, seriously. Can we eat them?


1 comment:

caroline said...

Your post kind of made me get a little misty-eyed. Does that make me a nerd? Seriously, thanks so much for your kind words. It was a rough semester for me, and your class consistently reminded me that teaching is what I love doing! Thanks for a terrific semester. You completed all the posts on here (and only one was a little late), so you've received an A on this assignment. PS - I'll add you once the semester is over if you request me as your friend. Enjoy the summer! And I'd love to see the pics. :)